Emerson Hospital is a hospital located in Concord, Massachusetts at 133 Old Road to Nine Acre Corner, founded in 1911 on 40 acres (16 ha) donated by Charles Emerson. As of 2006 it is a full-service, non-profit community hospital and acute care medical center with 177 beds, providing advanced medical services to over 300,000 individuals in 25 towns. Emersons wife died on December 7, 1910. The Concord Enterprise, on December 18, "provided details that a gift of land and money had been given to the New England Deaconess Association. The article stated, “The gift comes through Mr. Emerson, whose wife was recently as inmate of the Brookline hospital, and who made an offer to the institution before her death which recently occurred ... the hospital will be known as the Concord hospital and will be run on much the same principles as the Deaconess Hospital in Longwood, where patients who cannot afford to pay are taken free, and those who are able to pay do so." When the hospital opened in 1911, The Concord Enterprise reporter who had toured the facility wrote "The hospital building was two-stories tall with basement constructed in the Colonial style with a gambrel roof. The article stated the hospital was constructed using terra cotta tiles with concrete facing. One entered the vestibule of the hospital through swinging doors. Walls were pale green with “natural finished birch woodwork.” From the vestibule, one entered the main hospital. “Upon entering the main hall one’s eye is instantly attracted by a picture on the wall at the right. This picture, which is of Mrs. Charles Emerson, the gift of Mr. Emerson, is a painting by William James, son of the late Prof. James of Harvard.”"