The Educational Alliance is a leading social institution that has been serving Downtown Manhattan since 1889. Founded as a partnership between the Aguilar Free Library, the Young Mens Hebrew Association (now the 92nd Street Y), and the Hebrew Institute, the main purpose was to serve as a settlement house for Eastern European Jews immigrating to New York City. A massive fundraiser organized by Jewish philanthropists Isidor Straus, Samuel Greenbaum, Myer S. Isaacs, Jacob H. Schiff, Morris Loeb, and Edwin R. A. Seligman, raised $125,000 to buy land and build the organizations five-story flagship building at 197 East Broadway. In the early years, the "chief aim" of Educational Alliance classes was "Americanization" and use of the Yiddish language (derisively called "jargon") was banned for its first ten years. Classes for children and adults were offered on the English language, American history and civics, stenography, cooking, and more.