Eagle-Picher Corporation (now reduced to EaglePicher Technologies) is a privately held, American, manufacturing and resource extractive company known for its storage battery technology. It was founded in 1842 as a paint manufacturing firm using the name Eagle White Lead, and became Eagle-Picher Lead in 1916 with its merger with a lead mining company owned by Oliver Picher. That merger made it the second largest producer of lead and zinc products in the world. It has had many subsidiaries including the Eagle-Picher Mining & Smelting Company (now EP Minerals), Eagle-Picher Industries, EaglePicher Technologies, EaglePicher Commercial Power Solutions, and Wolverine Advanced Materials. Eagle-Picher was one of the defendants in the asbestos litigation, and has twice been through bankruptcy reorganization. After numerous divestitures, the remaining core company EaglePicher Technologies was sold to OM Group Inc. in 2010. In 1842, Edgar and Stephen J. Conkling, brothers, started a firm in Cincinnati, Ohio to manufacture pigments for commercial paints. They called the partnership the E. & S. J. Conkling Company and used the brand name Eagle White Lead. In 1847, with Stephen out of the picture, Edgar took a new partner, William Wood, and the partnership became Conkling Wood & Company. After the American Civil War the firm was incorporated with William Wood as the majority stockholder. In 1916, the Picher Lead Company of Missouri merged with the Eagle White Lead to form Eagle-Picher Lead. During World War II, Eagle-Picher used diatomaceous earth and zinc to produce storage batteries for the US military. By 1947 they were among the first to adapt a purification system for Germanium for commercial use in the transistor industry.