Choptank Electric Cooperative Incorporated is a not-for-profit energy organization formed on September 21, 1938. Its first electric distribution lines were energized in December 1939 in Caroline County, Maryland. The cooperative was instrumental in the effort to provide electric power to the rural areas of Marylands Eastern Shore. Choptank Electric Cooperative is owned by its members, who each have one vote in deciding which co-op members will serve on the board of directors. They serve more than 52,000 members in Caroline, Cecil, Dorchester, Kent, Queen Annes, Somerset, Talbot, Wicomico, and Worcester counties on Marylands Eastern Shore. This 70 by 140 mile territory contains almost 6,200 miles of distribution lines. In 2001, they were ranked the 11th largest energy company in the state of Maryland. Choptank Electric, with headquarters in Denton, Maryland, is a Touchstone Energy Cooperative and a member of Old Dominion Electric Cooperative, a generation and transmission cooperative.