BancorpSouth Bank is a bank holding company headquartered in Tupelo, Mississippi with operations in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Tennessee, Texas, and Illinois. In 1876, Raymond Trice and Company received a charter to create a bank in its hardware store in Verona, Mississippi. In 1886, the banking operation was moved to Tupelo, Mississippi and the company was renamed to Bank of Lee County, Mississippi. Soon after, it was renamed to the Bank of Tupelo. The bank was renamed to Bank of Mississippi in 1966. In 1997, the bank changed its name to BancorpSouth.