For those who choose to believe, particular zodiac signs come imbued with specific traits that drive our actions and lead us to success (and, sometimes, to failure). Each sign’s personality attributes can be utilized to your benefit…including making you more money.
Reader’s Digest recently consulted top astrologer Siobhan Johnson and asked her how people with each zodiac sign can increase their earnings, and she delivered some super-valuable tips. We’ve broken down her advice so you can make more money by the time your birth month rolls around.
Follow Ladders on Flipboard!
1. If you’re an Aries (March 21-April 19), go ahead and bust through some boundaries.
According to Johnson, “if an Aries feels like they are not breaking boundaries or making strides, they are likely to feel depressed in their role and under-perform.” Therefore, Aries employees will position themselves for higher earnings and larger career strides if they work for growing companies like start-ups, which allow them to really get their hands dirty, take consistent risks and make a lasting impression on the company’s growth.
2. Tauruses (April 20-May 20) should assert themselves to gain raises and bonuses.
Because Tauruses gain lasting happiness from physical representations of success and wealth (like a higher paycheck and the stuff they can buy with it), they shouldn’t hesitate to ask for raises and bonuses when the occasions arise. “Your feeling of being valued at work is tied up in your paycheck,” Johnson says of those born under Taurus, “so don’t feel weird or selfish asking for raises, bonuses, or benefits. The other thing that benefits the Taurus at work is knowing when to push. Don’t put up with stuff because you’re strong—push for change and improvements instead,.”
3. Geminis (May 21-June 20) can use their excellent social skills to advocate for themselves.
Among the most significant and positive traits associated with Geminis are their keen social intuition and their high-level people skills. Johnson believes that Gemini workers can use these natural inclinations to their professional advantage: “Connect well with your coworkers and strengthen your professional networks, and it will pay you dividends in the end.”
4. For Cancers (June 21-July 22), balance is essential.
Johnson notes that Cancers tend to rely on emotion above logic, a characteristic that can, in some cases, interrupt their career progress. Therefore, Cancers must strive to develop a sense of internal balance, which will allow them to thrive in the workplace. “Developing a more analytical attitude [toward] work is a Cancer’s key route to success. A Cancer’s love of home is also a key aspect; negotiating remote work opportunities can really make life easier for you and make you a happier—and therefore better—worker,” Johnson told Reader’s Digest.
5. Leos (July 23-August 22) will discover that tempering their strong social skills with diligent effort will have positive financial results.
In addition to holding the astrological sign most likely to produce billionaires, Leos are known for their ability to attract and hold attention. Nevertheless, Johnson advises Leos to shy away from showboating and to instead sign on for tasks that fully display their work ethic.
“Don’t just go for the ‘good’ tasks at work. Show initiative.You can also use your royal nature to build a good network of contacts around you, which should keep you updated on training, promotions, and new jobopportunities,” Johnson recommended.
6. Virgos (August 23-September 22) may find it useful to document their work.
Famous for their hardworking nature, Virgos sometimes suffer from imposter syndrome, leading them to subconsciously undervalue their own efforts. When it comes to increasing their earning potential, Virgos can benefit from clear, fact-based documentation of their own successes.
“Keep logs of units sold or customers pleased, or how long it takes you to do a project. Documenting your worth to the company like this will help you be brave when it comes to asking for raises or going for promotions. But use your powerful analytical mind to also eliminate the busy work that you’ve made for yourself in an effort to feel more useful. Your files don’t have to be alphabetical, chronological, and color coded,” suggested Johnson.
7. Libras (September 23-October 22) need to focus less on people-pleasing and more on decision-making.
The natural politicians of the Libra sign frequently prioritize a pleasant collaborative atmosphere, sometimes at the cost of their own ability to assert themselves and get necessary tasks done. To address this point, Johnson urged Libras to “please make a decision—any decision. The best way Libras can move forward at work is to stop trying to please everyone. Find your voice and don’t be afraid to let people hear it! Assert yourself.”
8. Scorpios (October 23-November 21) can parlay their inherent competitiveness into higher paychecks — with an important caveat.
Because Scorpios have an intrinsic competitive drive, they rarely experience trouble motivating themselves to perform at an impressive level in the workplace. This trait can propel them to promotions and raises, but they must be careful to also hone their cooperative skills.
“Due to your warlike nature, you are probably coming off as a bit snappish, whether you think so or not. Make an effort to be more welcoming to tone down that intensity,” Johnson mentioned.
9. Because Sagittariuses (November 22-December 21) excel at public-facing roles, they can use their ability to connect with others to achieve higher earnings.
Making friends within your industry can often help your career trajectory, and the warmth and social grace characteristic of Sagittariuses proves useful in this context. Johnson recommended attending as many company-sponsored social events as possible to heighten your visibility, adding that “Sagittarians are very wise and do well in roles with meetings, client facing work, or academic work.”
10. Capricorns (December 22-January 19) have substantial budgeting talents, but they also often need to push beyond their own introversion.
Ambitious and detail-oriented, Capricorns are effective budgeters and responsible employees.
“Capricorns are built for entrepreneurship, thanks to their great ambition, hard-working nature, and monetary skills,” Johnson explained. However, she also noted that Capricorns can become laser-focused on individual tasks, leading them to withdraw from team-building practices. “Capricorns can also be stubborn and need to remember that hard work in the wrong direction gets you nowhere. Use your great capacity for hard work in the right places,” Johnson recommended.
11. Aquariuses (January 20-February 18) display strong leadership skills, but they may need to rein in their desire to help their colleagues at all costs.
Johnson makes the clear point that the natural intelligence and creativity of the Aquarius makes her a born leader. However, she encourages Aquariuses to “be very careful not to continually bail out underperforming coworkers, or take blame where it’s not due.”
12. If you’re a Pisces (February 19-March 20), you likely have positive empathetic tendencies, but you should also prioritize self-care.
The Pisces sign corresponds to a strong sense of empathy, with Pisces individuals caring a great deal about the happiness, success, and well-being of those around them. That said, Johnson also believes that it’s important for a Pisces to focus some of that patience and openheartedness on herself.
“The best way for a Pisces to progress in any role is to look after yourself better, trust your intuition and speak out more,” Johnson stated.
A version of this post previously appeared on Fairygodboss, the largest career community that helps women get the inside scoop on pay, corporate culture, benefits, and work flexibility. Founded in 2015, Fairygodboss offers company ratings, job listings, discussion boards, and career advice.
You might also enjoy…
- New neuroscience reveals 4 rituals that will make you happy
- Strangers know your social class in the first seven words you say, study finds
- 10 lessons from Benjamin Franklin’s daily schedule that will double your productivity
- The worst mistakes you can make in an interview, according to 12 CEOs
- 10 habits of mentally strong people