Happy National Donut Day! Who doesn’t love a delicious donut in the morning when they come to work? Essentially it is a dessert, but we get to say it is breakfast food which is awesome.
A few fun facts about donuts to impress your coworkers with:
- This day was created in 1938 to honor The Salvation Army Donut Lassies. These were the women who served the tasty pastries to soldiers during World War I. And here you probably thought Dunkin’ Donuts started it.
- Not surprisingly America produces 10 billion donuts every year, making it the top producer in the world.
- Boston has the most donut shops per person of any city. There is one donut shop for every 2,480 people.
- If you are wondering why donuts have holes it is because it allows them to cook more evenly
As for where to get some free donuts today, here is a list of stores offering you some treats.
- Dunkin’ Donuts is offering you a free donut with any beverage purchase
- Tim Horton’s in select markets will have a chance to win free donuts for a year. According to the company website, “five specially selected restaurants across Buffalo, New York, Columbus, Ohio, and Detroit, Michigan will offer the 24k gold-covered Timbits®. The first in-restaurant Guest after 6 am to ask for the “Gold Timbits” at each one of these five locations on June 1 will win the prize of free donuts for a year.”
- Walmart is giving away free donuts just for coming to their store.
- Krispy Kreme is also just giving out its delicious donuts for free.
- Papa John’s is giving you a free order of donut holes with any online purchase because who doesn’t like their pizza with donuts? After National Donut Day, use promo code: DONUT, for a free order with the purchase of any two pizzas in June.